Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Friendships in the making . . .maybe

I woke up to the power off this morning and the sounds of rain pelting the sides of the house. But as I looked out my bedroom window to witness what would appear to be another gloomy day, I strangely felt upbeat . . . and loved. It made me reflect on what God whispered in my ear on Monday -- that he wouldn't hold any good thing from me.

It's never easy moving to a new place and as I packed up to leave Tallahassee, all I could think about was how this journey would affect my friendships. Would they remain or would they fall apart. Many people told me and now I'm beginning to learn that some people I've called friends won't be traveling on this leg of the journey with me. Even Jesus had to travel alone sometimes. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a realization -- to everything there is a season -- even in friendships.
But it doesn't diminish the hurt we feel when we lose them.

My mother told me about a month ago that she believed God had people waiting to meet me here in Atlanta. At the time, I took the message as a mother simply trying to console her daughter and say something that would lift her spirits.

I had forgotten the old adage that "mothers are always right!"

So, you can imagine my delight when three young ladies -- one in her first year, like me, and two in their second year, would offer me their hand in cultivating a friendship. And this was on the first day. They even went so far as to ask me for my phone number and asked me to put theirs in mine. I liked them. They seem cool. Like my kind of people.

Who knows, they just might turn out to be the ones my mother said God had waiting to meet me. They just might be "that good thing" that God said he would give me.

He delivered in Tallahassee. So why doubt him now.

1 comment:

PartyGirl said...

I am so proud of you. Anyone who knows you will not be surprised to hear that people gravitate to you. You are on a mission....and I can not wait to see what God has in store for you.