Wednesday, September 3, 2008

But I haven't got my MDiv yet . . .

If another person asks me if I'm thinking about pursuing my Ph.D, I'm going to scream!
AAAhhhggg!
Okay, it's out now and I do feel better.

Classes hadn't even got started good and people are inquiring about whether I'm lining up classes to support my pursuit of a doctorate. I look at them with that wide panicky deer-eyed look and think, "What? Ph.D. Can I get a chance to get my head wrapped around this Master of Divinity first?"

A few years ago, going back to school wasn't even part of the plan, let alone, going to seminary. I'm still in disbelief that I'm here. But God ordered my steps this way. I didn't make the decision, God did.

I just shared what I felt was purposed in my heart -- to write books that would inspire and heal and talk to people about how they could find liberty in Jesus. And God said I needed to go to seminary to prepare for that kind of work. I needed to know that I know that I know what I'm talking about.

See, for me, this is a step-by footstep process. I'm literally walking by faith with few details of what else lies ahead. And right now, all I can see is the next three years at Emory. Everything else is black. This is the way God deals with me. He knows that for some of us, he can't reveal the entire picture because, like he says in Habakkuk 1:5 "For I will work a work in your days which you would not believe though it were told to you."

If God had showed me 5 years ago I would be going to seminary at Emory University, I would have laughed hysterically in disbelief. Kind of like Sarah did when she heard that she and Abraham, who were nearly in their 90s, were having a baby. In fact, when people shared their thoughts with me that I should do that, I laughed at them too. (Get this though: when I was a freshman in college on Thanksgiving break, my aunt took me to Emory University to see the campus. I mentioned under my breath that if I ever decided to pursue a Master's degree -- which I didn't plan on as a broadcast journalism major -- I would go to Emory. I loved the campus just that much. But I didn't remember that until I after I got accepted.)

Funny how God works.

So, I don't know if a Ph.D is in the plan or not. I'll have to ask God about that. Or better yet, why don't you do it. Maybe he'll talk to you, cause he ain't said nothing to me yet.

Can the church say, "Praise the Lord!!!"

No comments: